The Overton House is a delicate Georgian Revival design with a symmetrical plan executed in red brick and gray limestone and two-and-a-half stories in height. The boldest treatment is the bracketed pediment over the projecting entrance bay. The front door, set flush with this bay, is framed with full-length sidelights that become transparent pilasters supporting a pediment. The house was built by the developer of the Overton Addition (see LK16), physician Marvin C. Overton, who arrived in Lubbock in 1901 from Kentucky. Until 1906, he was the only licensed professional doctor in a twenty-three-county area. With various partners, he founded a succession of hospitals in the young city. After architect S. B. Haynes (1893–1970) consulted Overton about a congenital hearing problem in 1922, Haynes decided to move to Lubbock from Livingston and set up a practice. In a succession of partnerships, and using his friendship with Overton and other connections, he designed houses, schools, and commercial buildings for four decades in Lubbock and surrounding communities.
At 1802 Broadway the Colonial Revival house of rancher and banker Warren A. Bacon and his wife, Myrta, the daughter of one of the founders of Lubbock, was designed by W. M. Rice, an Amarillo builder whose firm designed the buildings he constructed. The two-story house in tan brick has full-height Tuscan columned porticos on the south and east sides.