Walker’s deft touch is evident in the modestly scaled, buff brick-faced church, school, and parish hall, organized to form a U-plan complex. The cast-stone frontispieces framing the entrance portals to the church and parish house, as well as the bell tower beside the rear of the nave, are simplified, regionalized versions of Texas Tech’s Spanish architecture. A dramatic shift in demographics is registered in the twenty-first-century addition to this low-key parish complex, the megachurch-scaled new church (2002) at 2316 Broadway Street. Austin-based Heimsath Associates, with MWM Architects, designed the cruciform-plan, tile-roofed church as a Postmodern pastiche of Spanish colonial, Lombard Romanesque, and Texas Tech stylistic themes.
Across the street at 2323 Broadway is another O. R. Walker and James Atcheson–designed church, the First Christian Church, built in two phases, 1942 and 1945. Here the architects modernized their medieval references and rationalized their design by stressing simplicity.