During the 1930s, spaces on each side of the Amon G. Carter esplanade were filled with residence halls built with Public Works Administration (PWA) grants: those for men on the north (West and Sneed halls, 1934 and 1938) and those for women on the south (Doak and Drane halls, 1934 and 1938) adjacent to the Home Economics Building and comprising the “women’s campus.” Hedrick continued to develop the Spanish regional aspect after World War II: new men’s and women’s dormitories date from 1947 (the X-plan Gordon-Bledsoe and Knapp-Horn Halls) and a considerable building campaign in 1951 completed the original master plan.
By the 1950s, however, other architects were involved in the campus. Haynes and Kirby designed the Home Economics addition in 1950, and Atcheson and Atkinson designed the Engineering Building and the University Center in 1951. Although both firms maintained the Spanish Renaissance style, the University Center is less formal than Hedrick’s work. By the 1960s, a younger generation of architects grappled with strategies for introducing modernism to the campus. The University Library of 1960 (Pitts, Mebane and Phelps of Beaumont) is New Formalist: a modular building with a sculptural, thin shell roof of repeating semicircular vaults, with Spanish tile retained in the form of a sunscreen set behind the building’s slender piers.