Mayor, William and Mary professor, and later Virginia governor John Garland Pollard had design skills and money sufficient to create two of Williamsburg's most appealing twentieth-century neighborhoods. Chandler Court was laid out in 1922–1924 with two lanes meeting at a shared green. Its houses, including those at numbers 101, 116, and 119, occupied respectively by Pollard, history professor Richard L. Morton, and librarian E. G. Swem, are relatively free interpretations of colonial buildings.
Pollard Park followed in 1930, with a lane circling a wooded ravine. Most of the houses there are in a more literal eighteenth-century Chesapeake style, illustrating the influence of Colonial Williamsburg. Richmond architect Clarence Wright Huff, Jr., designed 604 and 608 Pollard Park; architect and architectural historian Thomas Tileston Waterman designed 601 Pollard Park and 140 Chandler Court (facing Ballard Lane). Eimer Cappelmann designed 600 Pollard Park in an earlier, more romantic English cottage style.