At the west end of south Pulaski, the industrial site of the Bertha Zinc and Mineral Company has been in continuous use since 1880. Several of the company's buildings remain intact, though most have been through a number of changes. The most remarkable early survivor is this block of row houses for workers in the region. More substantial than most company housing, the row was probably originally occupied by craftsmen, not manual laborers. The six-unit twelve-bay row is covered with a hipped roof and now painted white. Many of the early managers and workers at the company were from Wales, who came because of their metalworking skills. Nearby at 703 Commerce Street is the company's two-story brick commissary (late 19th century).
Scattered around the hills of Pulaski's south side are small one-story two-room or center-passage frame houses built for the workers that often stand side by side with the larger Queen Anne houses intended for the managers. Housing for the African American workers and their families was segregated to the outskirts of town.