The First Baptist Church's African American congregation was formed in 1897 and worshipped in a frame church until 1920 when this brick, gable-fronted building replaced it. The church has a nave plan with an over-all Gothic character in its pointed-arched windows and corner tower. In 1969, the Ebenezer Baptist congregation joined with the First Baptist group to form the Union Baptist Church. It remains one of the most important African American community organizations in the area.
Also Gothic Revival is St. John's Episcopal Church (c. 1903; 1002 Blue Ridge Road), which was built with bricks salvaged from one of Glasgow's failed factories. In 1956 a parish house from nearby Natural Bridge Station was reassembled on the site and connected with a hyphen. The chancel was enlarged, but the interior and its furnishings were preserved.