In the post–Civil War period, Abingdon's commercial buildings usually were of brick and frequently Italianate in style as exemplified in the Greenway Brothers Building (1876; 180–182 E. Main). Built as two separate storefronts, the three-story building has pressed-metal window hoods and corbeled brickwork below pressed-metal cornices. The house (1819) and store (1828) of Colonel James White at 171–173 E. Main were redone in Italianate in 1864 after a fire. The Federal windows with triple sash on the first story reveal the earlier construction. White, a Pennsylvania-born businessman, owned a mercantile business, a tannery, and iron furnaces in Washington County. The classical design of the former First National Bank (1923, Clarence B. Kearfott; 174 E. Main) is typical for its time. A column and a pilaster are on each side of the recessed entrance, and the building has a full entablature, a pediment, and a plain parapet. Now occupied by county offices, the bank's teller cages are still in use for collecting county taxes and fees.
Most houses from the town's late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century building phase are on Valley Street, but some, like the Queen Anne Greenway-Trigg House (1884; 152 E. Main), are on Main. The three-story brick duplex has an elaborate front porch across its facade and a roof bristling with dormers.