You are here

Old Stone House (Athenian Hall)

-A A +A
Athenian Hall
1834–1836, Alexander Twilight. 109 Old Stone House Rd., Brownington village
  • (Photograph by Curtis B. Johnson, C. B. Johnson Photography)
  • (Photograph by Curtis B. Johnson, C. B. Johnson Photography)
  • (Photograph by Curtis B. Johnson, C. B. Johnson Photography)

Athenian Hall, one of the most intact institutional structures of its era, stands as a remarkable creation of a remarkable person. Alexander Twilight, born of a poor black farming family in Corinth, worked through an indentureship and attended Randolph Academy. In 1823 he graduated from Middlebury College and is the first African American known to receive a college degree. He arrived in Brownington in 1829 to serve as its pastor and as principal of the coeducational Orleans County Grammar School. Recognizing the need to house boarding students, he reputedly built this dormitory at his own expense and solely with the aid of an ox. It is a four-story, thirty-room granite structure with ground-level classrooms, kitchen and cistern, student rooms on the second story, and top-floor assembly hall. Its stony gable front and monitor are reminiscent of mill buildings, but it also bears a kinship with Old Chapel (AD30.2), which was under construction at Middlebury College at just this time. The many chimneys serve a fireplace in the kitchen and fifteen small charcoal fireplaces in student rooms.

Almost at once the grammar school had competitors elsewhere in the county. In 1836, Twilight sought election and went to Montpelier, determined to protect the school's chartered resources. Serving until 1838, he was the country's first African American state legislator. Twilight ran his school until the 1850s, when he was succeeded by Samuel Reed Hall, a pioneer in teacher education and promoter, if not inventor, of classroom blackboards. In 1859 the school closed its doors, later passing into private hands and never again occupied above its ground floor. As a result, when the Orleans County Historical Society acquired it as a home for their collections in 1916, it was essentially intact. Today it is a National Historic Landmark that opens to the public seasonally.

Writing Credits

Glenn M. Andres and Curtis B. Johnson


What's Nearby


Glenn M. Andres and Curtis B. Johnson, "Old Stone House (Athenian Hall)", [Brownington, Vermont], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—,

Print Source

Cover: Buildings of Vermont

Buildings of Vermont, Glenn M. Andres and Curtis B. Johnson. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2013, 240-241.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.