The lineal descendant of the first Episcopal church established in Kanawha County, St. Mark's replaced a church destroyed by fire in 1845. Bishop Meade consecrated it in 1847, remarking that it was “of brick, built after a good model, and is not only convenient for the services of religion, but attractive to the traveler's
The building suffered severe damage from its use as a stable by Union troops during the Civil War, and it was subsequently closed for several years. In 1915 the United States made belated restitution for war damages, and the Rev. Herbert Jukes, who had been an architect before becoming an Episcopalian rector, guided the restoration. He also crafted the chancel furniture during his years at St. Mark's (1913–1919). A parish hall to the rear dates from 1955, and a new, larger church was built parallel to the old one in 1969, forming the present U-shaped complex.