One of Wheeling's largest antebellum mansions, the Henry K. List House gives solid evidence of the city's mid-nineteenth-century prosperity. Built of brick, the two-story, five-bay house has Greek Revival proportions embellished with Italianate trim. It bears a striking resemblance to the Paxton-Reed House (
WH16.2) on 12th Street and to Elm Hill (
WH75) on Bethany Pike. As in those houses, the windows are extremely tall and have bracketed lintels. A square monitor overlooking the rear wing and the Ohio River beyond tops the
Near the end of the nineteenth century, List, a grocer, banker, insurance executive, philanthropist, and paterfamilias, built two houses immediately to the north for two of his married children (see WH38). Since 1946 his own house has served as the area headquarters for the American Red Cross.