The J.C. Penney house, built circa 1900, is a small, one-and-a-half-story, frame saltbox with a concrete foundation and side-gable roof. The walls are sheathed with clapboard. On the southeast facade is a full-length porch, supported by turned posts, with a half balustrade. A carved wood valance and scrolled corner braces, as well as the tall windows, give the house a folk Victorian appearance. Although the Penney family only resided in the house for seven years, from 1902 to 1909, it remained in the family until James Penney’s death in 1971. In 1975 the house was acquired by the City of Kemmerer for a museum, and moved across the street.
Christian, Ralph J., “J.C. Penney Historic District,” Lincoln County, Wyoming. National Register of Historic Places Inventory–Nomination Form, 1977. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.
Curry, Mary Elizabeth. “J.C. Penney.” American National Biography. Vol. 17. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.