A simple one-room schoolhouse, the Wasilla Elementary School was constructed in 1917, shortly after the townsite had been laid out.
The one-story, one-room schoolhouse measures approximately 22 feet by 36 feet and is wood-framed with beveled siding. On the interior, narrow, beaded boards are used for wainscoting, stained and placed vertically, and for wall coverings, painted white and placed horizontally. The tray ceiling is covered with the same material.
Originally located about three blocks away, the school was built on wood posts. A concrete foundation was added in the 1930s. The school was moved to its present site in 1979 and placed on a wood post foundation.