John Eugene DuBignon was the founder of the Jekyll Island Club, building in 1884 one of the earliest cottages in what would become the clubhouse precinct. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the DuBignons owned the entire island, but following the Civil War their property was reduced to thirty acres. John DuBignon intended to regain ownership of the island, and established an exclusive winter retreat there. In 1884 he built his Stick Style farmhouse and began raising livestock. After the clubhouse was constructed in 1886–1888, the DuBignon residence became the superintendent’s cottage and later “club cottage,” serving as a guesthouse for club members and island visitors.
In 1896, the house was relocated to accommodate the construction of the San Souci Apartments on its former site. Once moved, the house was set on brick piers, with lattice added under the wraparound porch. The Club enhanced the DuBignon Cottage with decorative brackets and gutters on the exterior, and on the interior, decorative scoring on the hall and parlor floors and faux marble mantels.
“DuBignon Cottage.” Jekyll Island, Georgia. Accessed August 14, 2019. www.jekyllisland.com.
McCash, June Hall. The Jekyll Island Cottage Colony. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1998.