Named in honor of the Revolutionary statesman Fisher Ames, the Colonial Revival shingled school has a monumental presence more commonly associated with masonry structures. Below a broad segmental arch framed by Ionic columns and a large three-part window the recessed main entrance energizes the design. The exterior retains many architectural details usually lost over the years, such as the urns and weathervanes on the twin cupolas. In 1983 the school was converted to offices.
Flanking the school on the east side, a fire station designed in 1950 by James Lawrence shows the influence of Swedish architecture of the early twentieth century, particularly Stockholm Town Hall. On the other side of the school stands an unusual brick Federal-period house with its principal facade on the gable end that faces the street.