Colonial Revival remodeling of Colonial and Federal houses became a common pattern in Dedham, of which we have three examples here. Known since 1922 as the Community House, the most architecturally outstanding nineteenth-century building in Dedham faces the north side of the Common. Samuel Haven constructed the brick-ended Havens-Bullard House (671 High Street) in 1798. In 1886 John Bullard purchased the house and hired Van Brunt and Howe to remodel it extensively with Federal-style ornamentation, making the house an extraordinary example of the Colonial Revival. Where there were originally corner pilasters, the architects added corner-attached columns and pilasters on either side of the porch. Where there was a roof balustrade with simple finials, the architects added large scroll-shaped brackets and classical urns. A new central entrance and porch
On the other side of the Allin Congregational Church lies the Dexter House (699 High Street), built in 1761 as a two-story hipped roof dwelling. In 1901 Parker and Thomas designed a major expansion, which transformed the house into a three-story Federal Revival town house. Four years later, near the south side of the Common, the Norfolk House Inn (19 Church Street) also underwent a dramatic transformation. Constructed in 1801 for Martin Marsh, the three-story inn was, by the end of the century, a boarding house. Charles H. Gifford purchased the house and hired Dedham resident Frank Chouteau Brown to convert the building into a single-family house. Brown embellished the interior and exterior of the simple Federal-style brick building, adding a large two-story portico on the front that has since been removed.