The Martin Peña Barber Shop tracks the transformation of Fourth Street in Barelas from a residential street into a commercial strip. The original, one-story structure at the back was erected as a private residence early in the twentieth century. Between 1942 and 1947, a barbershop, still in operation, was added to the front. After Fourth Street became part of Route 85 in 1926, many residents responded to the economic opportunity this offered by building commercial additions like this, which catered both to passing tourists and the neighborhood.
Wilson, Chris, “Barelas-South Fourth Street Historic District,” Bernalillo County, New Mexico. National Register of Historic Places Inventory–Nomination Form, 1996. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.