The Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM), located at Hazel Road on the eastern periphery of Wade Park, was designed by Schafer, Flynn and Williams and opened in 1961. The building includes thirty soundproof studios, eleven classrooms, twenty practice rooms, and a 525-seat concert hall with acoustics by Dr. Heinrich Keilholz of Germany. Typifying a mid-century interest in classical composition and monumentality, the simple, oblong-shaped building has pre-cast concrete columns set five feet from the enclosing curtain wall. This not only heightens their sculptural dignity, it prevents sound vibrations from being carried through the walls. Two contemporary wings, the Fred A. Lennon Education Building and the Recital Building, were completed in 2006–2007 by Charles T. Young Architects collaborating with Westlake Reed Leskosky.
Johannesen, Eric. Cleveland Architecture, 1876-1976. Cleveland, OH: Western Reserve Historical Society, 1979.