The Natural History Museum first moved to Wade Oval in 1958. The following year a dinosaur exhibit and planetarium were added to the mid-century brick building. In 1968, the museum installed the beloved Louis P. Jonas Stegosaurus sculpture known as “Steggie.” The building was extensively renovated in 1971 by Flynn, Dalton, van Dijk and Associates, the same firm responsible for the original design. Westlake Reed Leskosky designed a new planetarium that was completed in 2002. In anticipation of the museum’s centennial in 2020, the board of trustees approved a major expansion and restoration that will begin in 2016 by the Denver-based firm Fentress Architects.
Waldek, Stephanie. “The Cleveland Museum of Natural History Gets a $150 Million Face-Lift for Its Centennial.” Architectural Digest(March 31, 2015). Accessed March 18, 2016. http://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/cleveland-museum-of-natural-history-150-million-expansion.