The Compass Inn, strategically located at the western base of Laurel Hill in Laughlintown, was a popular overnight stop on the historic Pennsylvania Road between Bedford and Pittsburgh. The evolution of the inn reflects the rise and fall of commerce along the road. The V-notched log portion (1799) is a typical roadside inn that used a common pre-1860 construction method. Hoping to attract
Laughlintown hosts a second roadside inn east of the Compass Inn. Built in 1827 of log covered with weatherboarding, the Yellow House or Naugle Inn retains its two-story drover's porch from which its patrons could watch their cattle in the barn (demolished) on the north side of U.S. 30.