This former residence, built in 1863, is one of the earliest and most ornate houses in Port Gamble. It is located near the heart of the community, on North Rainier Avenue just south of the Masonic Lodge and the Community Hall. It initially served as a guest house for the mill company but by 1881 it was being used as a hospital—a use that continued through the 1920s until a new hospital was built near the mill. It was also the residence of the town physician, and the building’s name may be due to the fact that the physician residing there in 1860 and in 1878 was from New York.
The house has clapboard siding, a hipped roof, and six-over-six windows with molded cornices. At the rear is a shed-roofed addition. A relatively ornate, hipped-roof porch with a plain railing extends across the front (north) facade. Wooden stairs are at both front and rear. An entry door with a transom is at the northeast corner on the front, with another entry, now the main entrance to the vintage shop that currently occupies the building, at the northwest corner.