Not easily seen from the road, Elm Grove's multibuilding complex contains some of the most significant historic sites in the lower Kanawha Valley. A huge sycamore that George Washington noted on his trip in 1770 later served as a marker for Long's Landing, named for the family who purchased the property from his heirs. The first log house (1803) was followed by a brick house in the 1830s. A year after the flood of 1883, the present house was built on a knoll several hundred feet farther from the river.
Elm Grove is an asymmetrical Italianate