The Eastham House, standing high on a hill, speaks eloquently of the unpretentious, comfortable, antebellum lifestyle enjoyed in the lower Kanawha valley. The L-shaped, two-story Greek Revival house of brick has cut stone sills and lintels and an impressive corbeled brick cornice. In 1943 a prominent Charleston architecture firm directed a respectful modernization of the interior. In the 1980s additional restoration and reconstruction of decayed elements was undertaken.
Bushrod Washington conveyed the property to George Eastham in 1817, but it was his kinsman, Albert Gallatin Eastham, who is assumed to have built the house in the 1850s. An early frame smokehouse stands in the rear yard, near the still visible foundation of an earlier Eastham family house.