Built close to the old National Road, probably between 1806, when the road was surveyed, and 1818, when it was opened to Wheeling, this sturdy structure typifies the many inns that formerly served travelers on the pike. The tavern is two stories high with a formal five-bay facade of cut sandstone blocks. Side and rear walls are faced with roughly coursed rubble. A fanlighted entry and rectangular window lintels decorated with rosettes provide minimal architectural refinements. The bracketed cornice is a later Italianate feature.
Stone Tavern continued to serve the traveling public long after the National Road became U.S. 40, as the “billboard” painted on the wood siding of the gable end closest to the intersection attests: “Stone House Auto Court Cabins Bath Garage Restaurant.” The auto court was built in two sections in 1922 behind the older inn. One unit was demolished in 1983; the other still stands. An original cast iron National Road mileage post also remains nearby.