Lake Jackson was founded in 1941 by the Dow Chemical Company as a planned new town to house the employees of the magnesium and styrene plants Dow constructed in Freeport, five miles to the southeast. Freeport, Velasco, and Angleton discouraged Dow from developing housing, schools, and services for its employees within their domains. So Dow bought sixty-five hundred acres, including the former Lake Jackson Plantation between the Brazos River and Oyster Creek, and retained Alden B. Dow and engineer T. J. Dunbar to transform the flat, low-lying, heavily wooded site into a new town for four thousand residents. Site work began in December 1941 and the first residents arrived in January 1943. Dow designed the original housing as well as the first buildings in the commercial center. Of more lasting impact than his buildings is the town plan. It is a super-subdivision of curvilinear streets that purposefully but unobtrusively form neighborhood enclaves. Oyster Creek Drive, flanked by one-hundred-foot-wide landscaped reserves, preserves Dow's planning vision. At the northwest corner of the triangular townsite, where Oyster Creek and Plantation drives intersect, is the commercial and civic center.
Lake Jackson is a mid-twentieth-century vision of the good community as conceived by middle-class progressives such as Dow. Except along Oyster Creek Drive, it is almost indistinguishable from other, less high-minded examples. The townsite is totally car oriented. Lake Jackson was all middle income and, until the mid-1960s, all white. Because it had the advantage of mature tree growth, Lake Jackson was never spatially oppressive. But it seems to derive little benefit from its architecture, which failed to spatialize the image of new community that modernist polemics of the 1930s and 1940s anticipated.
If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.
SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.