Originally constructed as a high school, the large brick and concrete middle school reflects the influence of the Moderne style in its caststone figures in bas-relief and the absence of a projecting cornice. Four stories high with the upper story stepped back from the plane of each facade, the building features a central stair hall pavilion extending above the roofline. The architects, Horatio and John W. Beal, also designed the Moderne-styled Granite Trust Building (QU4) in Quincy, completed in 1929.
The open field site provided room for several additions. In 1959 two buildings were added in the rear, connected by an enclosed second-floor walkway. With the construction of a new high school behind this complex in 1975, the 1933 building became the middle school.