Grand Manse formerly served as the Second U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. Located on the north half of Government Square, the block-long building was constructed in three phases between 1904 and 1941. Supervising Architect, James Knox Taylor, designed the original (east) portion of the building in a restrained version of Beaux-Arts classicism. Subsequent supervising architects, who maintained the original design intentions, expanded the building to the north and west. In 2004 Grand Manse was renovated to become a mixed-use structure housing offices, residences, a restaurant, and event space.
Silverman, Barbara, and E. F. Zimmer. Haymarket Landmark District Walking Tour. Lincoln, NE: Lincoln Haymarket Development Corp., 1987.
Zimmer, Edward, and Carrie Schneider, “Government Square,” Lancaster County, Nebraska. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, 2004. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC. http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/nebraska/lancaster/LC13-C09-Govt-Square.pdf.