The St. Charles is composed of two abutting Italianate hotels, both constructed in 1862 as the first permanent hostelries in the town. The two-story Muller's Hotel, the smaller of the two, served working-class locals and visitors to town. The more imposing three-story St. Charles, capped by a heavy wood cornice decorated with brackets, quickly became popular among prominent residents. A one-story porch once ran along the Carson and 3rd Street facades; today a porch built in 1995 stands along the main facade.
In 1895 the two buildings were united as one hotel, which also accommodates commercial enterprises such as offices, saloons, restaurants, and shops. The hotel had fallen into disrepair by 1993, when a new owner began a major rehabilitation. At about the same time a developer added new facades to the one-story commercial buildings across 3rd Street. The brightly colored, frontier-style false fronts provide a jarring contrast to the worn brick of the St. Charles.