East Avenue crosses the Clear River on Stone Arch Bridge (1902; steel-deck sidewalks added 1952), a single segmental arch in wet-laid rubble with dry-laid abutments. It was a replacement for a metal-truss bridge (the trusses from which are now incorporated in the Pratt Pony trusswork of the Shippee Bridge across the Clear River north of Harrisville). Why? Did Pinkham, too, long to alleviate the “ugliness” of technology from his village by this appeal to the “beauty” of the old-fashioned craftsmanship of the adjacent dam?
Also spanning the river at East Avenue is the Harrisville Dam, built by William Tinkham and his then partner Job S. Steere immediately after Tinkham and Steere enlarged their Mapleville operations by buying the Harrisville mills. It is a stepped construction of roughly dressed granite blocks which epitomizes the very nature of a gravity dam. Spillage and seepage over and through the granite blocks now convert it to a beautiful water wall. Levy created a village park around the pond. In it, just across the bridge, near the junction of East Avenue and Main Street, he located The Assembly, which represents one component in the cluster of buildings which he provided as the civic core of Harrisville.